Saturday 19 October 2013

My Husband Loves to See Me in Mini – Nollywood Actress Chioma Toplis

 
The controversial Nollywood actress in an interview with Vanguard talks about her boutique business, acting career, marital life and male admirers. Chioma Toplis who is based in the UK has featured in movies such as Zara, Proof of Life, Sincerity and many others. She is married to a Briton... See interview below...

What has been happening to you recently?

I am fine. I have not been regular in Nigeria this year. I had been on holiday with my children abroad. I need to put certain things in place before returning to the country.

When was the last time you visited Nigeria ?

I left the country in November last year. I am not a noise maker. Nobody hears about me whenever I’m around. I’m not really a party goer. I am always on my own doing my thing. In fact, I’m more involved in my business than going on movie sets. It’s only when I am free that I consider hitting teh set.

Have you been shooting movies in the UK ?

No,  I don’t go for auditions in the UK. While in the UK, I get more involved in my boutique business. I don’t have a shop but I run my business from my house.

With your business, do you still  find time to pursue  your acting career?

Of course, I still go on location.  You know, in Nollywood, you work with producers that are your people.  I don’t go about canvassing for jobs. If you need me, you know how to reach me. I’d go for jobs that I’m invited to be part of the cast. It’s not every movie that I would want to feature in. No, Iam selective.

Is it deliberate or that your business does not give you the chance to focus on acting?

It is partly because of my business and my family. I really want to  be focused but at the same time, I have to engage myself in other things that would food on my table. Scripts don’t come my way most often. But I have to do other things that are profitable to me.  Sometimes, I might be  busy with my business when script will suddenly come my way and I might not be chanced to grab it at that moment.

You run a boutique in Lekki. Do you supply Nollywood with costume or props?

I don’t, but I have been providing my own costuming ever since I joined Nollywood. It is only when I’m required to wear  traditional outfit that they producers provide costumes for me.   In spite of this, I don’t costume other  stars. My boutique is located  in Lekki, and I sell wholesale. That’s why I don’t have too many people as customers even in Nollywood.

What role did you play in your  last movie?

I  have forgotten the title of the movie. But I can remember I played the role of Mariam, Apollo’s friend in that movie .   When it was released, people were calling to commend my acting prowess. I don’t like feauring in movies regularly. I believe in doing one quality job at a time. And each time, I star  in a movie, people always recommend the work. I’m looking forward to starring in a blockbluster movie. To some people,  I am an arrogant person. But the truth is that I am not arrogant. I still want to maintain my dignity.

What is your take on the state of the  Actors Guild of Nigeria ?

I am a member of the guild. But I’m not interested  in the politics of the guild because I know that what is happening therein is not peculiar to the guild alone. It happens in many other organisations. But I will be happy if there is peace in the industry.  I am particularly happy that for the first time  a woman is the piloting the affairs of the guild. Perhaps, it means that  one day, our leaders will give a woman the opportunity to rule this country. I don’t have anything against anybody as a member of the guild.

As an actress, what role can you not play in movies?

I don’t think there is any role I cannot play in movies. However, due to our culture, I cannot play certain roles.  If I’m overseas, I can play any role. They have a way of packaging their movies even when you think there is lots of nudity. They do it in a way that you are not going to go nude.  If I find myself in Hollywood, I will interprete whatever role I’m  given to play. When people kiss in Hollywood, it looks real. But  in actuality, nothing serious happened. In Nollywood and given the kind of culture we have here, it’s a big issue.  You will be castigated and your  family will disown you.

Read the complete interview here



No comments:

Post a Comment