Thursday 29 August 2013

Rape Victim Receives 'Comforting' Phone Call From Pope Francis

Pope Francis reached out to 44-year-old Argentinian rape victim, Alejandra Pereyra, who was raped at gunpoint inside an officer's car. She was at home knitting when she received the unexpected phone call from the Pope at about 3:50 local time on Sunday, August 25.

When he identified himself as Pope Francis,  "I started crying. With an angelic voice, he told me to be calm and that he was calling because he had read my letter and my story struck him." Pereyra narrated the experience on an Argentinean television network.

"When I heard the Pope's voice I felt like being touched by God," Pereyra, from the city of Cordoba, told local Canale 10 television.

“The Pope listened to what I said with much attention,” she said. “He told me that I was not alone and that I must have faith in the justice system. He told me that he receives thousands of letters a day but that the one that I wrote had touched his heart.

Ms Pereyra wrote to Pope Francis about 10 days ago, recounting her tragic story. The mother of six said she had been raped by a policeman but that the authorities in Argentina had tried to suppress her complaint and that the officer had received a promotion.

After the 30 minutes conversation with the Pope she said that, "He restored faith and peace in me and gave me strength to carry on fighting." Though her assailant has yet to be brought to justice.

Since Pope Francis took the Church's highest office he has been committed to reaching out to his fold and he's had many touching moments with individuals.









No comments:

Post a Comment